Website Asian American Federation
Established in 1989, the Asian American Federation (AAF) is the strongest leadership voice in New York City advocating for better policies, services, and funding that lead to more justice and opportunity for Asian immigrants. Our mission is to raise the influence and well-being of the pan-Asian American community through research, policy advocacy, public awareness, and nonprofit support.
In partnership with our 70 member and partner community-based organizations, we represent the interests of 1.7 million Asian New Yorkers. We are working to make sure the pan-Asian community remains visible, that our needs are addressed, our contributions valued, and our stories are told. We support Asians from 20 ethnic groups—diverse in language, culture, and religion—that make up New York’s Asian community by providing expert research and unrelenting advocacy; working with lawmakers to change policies; and training Asian nonprofits to better serve their communities.
The Asian American Federation (AAF) has been leading the response to anti-Asian violence in New York City since January 2020. We launched our Hope Against Hate Campaign in the spring of 2021 to provide immediate safety solutions to safeguard Asian New Yorkers. As part of the Campaign, we are establishing a Community Safety Program in Sunset Park (Brooklyn), Chinatown (Manhattan), and Flushing (Queens) to train volunteers to serve as safety experts in those neighborhoods.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Safety Programs, the Safety Programs Coordinator will be responsible for recruiting and managing volunteers for the Community Safety Program and providing overall support for the various project areas under the Hope Against Hate Campaign. The Community Safety Program will be an integral part of the Campaign. The ideal candidate will demonstrate an excitement for volunteer recruitment and outreach, and strongly believe in AAF’s vision and values, especially as they relate to providing community safety.
Major responsibilities will include:
• Develop and build out the Community Safety Program in partnership with AAF’s training partner, including establishing an orientation and training curriculum to ensure smooth program operations
• Implement a volunteer management system and process, with support from AAF’s training partner
• Lead volunteer recruitment efforts, working with local community groups, schools, media, etc., to build out a robust volunteer database of individuals committed to serving as Community Ambassadors and Community Companions
• Manage a regular cycle of volunteers from beginning to end, making sure they complete the orientation process and training requirement, and receive support throughout their volunteer experience
• Maintain volunteer schedules, update the volunteer database, and provide regular communications to volunteers on relevant program operations updates
• Work with AAF’s Communications team to regularly update AAF’s website and social media platforms with volunteer needs and recognition
• Partner with AAF’s training partner to regularly assess, coordinate, and manage the volunteers’ training and support needs
• Provide programmatic support for all aspects of the Campaign, working with AAF’s members and partners providing services in the areas of: standardized and coordinated reporting; victim support services; safety trainings; safe zones; and youth programming.
• Bachelor’s degree required
• 2-3 years of experience managing volunteers
• Experience with program development and management
• Experience with public speaking and team-building preferred
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with exceptional attention to detail
• Exceptional organizational skills, with demonstrated ability to manage concurrent multiple assignments, meet tight deadlines, and prioritize accordingly
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
• Fluency in Mandarin or Cantonese preferred
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, G Suite, and Zoom
• Demonstrated commitment to Asian American communities and AAF’s mission
Compensation: Salary range is up to $55,000 per year, commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package includes generous paid time off, health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, as well as a 403(b) plan.
To Apply: Please email cover letter, resume, and writing sample with [Last Name] Safety Programs Coordinator in the subject line to [email protected] Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will begin immediately. No phone calls, please.
The Asian American Federation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Tagged as: Civil Rights, Social Action & Advocacy, Government, Human Services & Neighborhood Centers
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org