Website Educational Video Center
Youth Media Documentary Film Instructor
Educational Video Center is an award-winning non-profit youth media organization dedicated to
teaching documentary filmmaking as a means to develop the artistic, critical literacy, and career
skills of young people, while nurturing their idealism and commitment to social change. Now in
it’s 36th year, EVC currently has openings for Youth Media Instructors for in-school and
afterschool documentary filmmaking programs.
EVC offers in-school and afterschool documentary filmmaking programming for youth across
New York City. In each program, students collaborate on the production of a short documentary
film about a social justice issue of their choosing that they identify as having significance to their
own lives and communities. The program culminates in public screenings of their
The curriculum draws from both EVC’s signature Youth Powered Video curriculum, and
curriculum crafted by individual instructors in coordination with the supervisor in order to meet
the particular needs of the group, the social justice topic, and the filmmaking process.
● Lead and facilitate a diverse team of 10-20 high school students in an intensive,
collaborative process of creating a documentary film.
● Teach collaborative research, shooting, and editing of a social issue documentary.
● Guide students through media literacy lessons connecting ideas of power, oppression
and media production.
● Develop engaging and creative lesson plans that promote students’ critical literacy, civic
engagement, social emotional development, and documentary arts skills.
● Accompany students to interviews, local forums, or conferences related to their
filmmaking topic and process.
● Facilitate student reflection and self-assessment of learning through journaling and
● Coach and facilitate students’ public premiere screening and presentation of student
● Help facilitate partnerships with local community based organizations to support
students’ development of strategies for using their film as a tool for education, civic
engagement and activism.
● Communicate as needed with students’ schools and advisors to support students’
learning and social emotional development, report attendance, student participation, and
● Ensure proper care and maintenance of production and post-production equipment used
by the program participants
● Attend EVC staff meetings and Professional Development sessions
Required Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications Include:
● Extensive experience in all aspects of documentary film production (producing, shooting,
audio recording and editing)
● Experience with nonlinear editing software (Adobe Premiere, iMovie or WeVideo)
● Extensive experience working with high school aged youth is a must (specifically from
historically marginalized communities)
● Experience writing student-centered, culturally relevant curriculum that engages with
● Demonstrates a longstanding commitment to social justice media making and organizing
● Understanding of principles of positive youth development
● Demonstrated commitment to EVC’s educational philosophy
● Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
● Strong planning and personal organization skills
● Flexibility, resourcefulness and a sense of humor
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications Include:
● Experience assessing student work
● Familiarity with student-led portfolio assessments
● Bilingual English-Spanish speaker and/or additional languages
This is a part-time contract position contingent on project funding. The rate of compensation for
coaching is $250 per full day, and $150 per half-day session. Coaches also attend EVC full staff
Study Group and periodic coaching program meetings.
This position reports to and is supported by the Director of Professional Development Programs
and the Deputy Director of Programs.
Please send your resume and thoughtful cover letter detailing how your experiences match the
responsibilities and qualifications of the position, to [email protected] Please include the
title of the position in the subject line.
As an organization EVC is committed to engaging in work that disrupts and roots out systems
and structures that perpetuate racial inequities and oppression. We intentionally seek to build
and maintain a diverse and talented team that reflects the backgrounds and experiences of our
students and creates an inclusive environment for all employees. As an Equal Opportunity
Employer, EVC encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race,
ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability or any other legally protected basis.
Tagged as: Education & Youth Development, Social Action & Advocacy
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com