About Support Center
Support Center seeks to advance our mission for social change by empowering nonprofits and social enterprises to transform their leadership and management. Support Center is a nonprofit capacity building organization specializing in organizational development, leadership, and executive transition. Originally created as part of an international network of management support organizations (Support Centers of America) originally established in 1971, Support Center has been a trusted partner to nonprofit and philanthropic organizations in the greater New York/New Jersey/Connecticut area for more than 30 years.
Our vision for social change is tied to the envisioned outcomes of our work. Specifically, we envision a society where:
- Coalitions and organizations have the resources needed to understand and address inequities.
- Boards and their organizations work towards identifying, retaining, and advancing more diverse leadership.
- Communities and the people most directly impacted lead and represent organizations and coalitions.
- Support Center, our partners, and clients hold each other and themselves accountable to understanding the systems that perpetuate inequities across health, wealth, happiness, safety, and security.
- We expect to bring our authentic selves to work, regardless of race, sexual orientation, ability, age, national origin/ethnicity, appearance, and gender.
- We design and adopt new ways of operating that question the practices of a white dominant culture.
Videos on our YouTube channel provide a glimpse into our culture and values.
About the Position
The Program Associate will report to the Associate ED and work with a dynamic core team and 20+ affiliate consultants. This position is full-time. Support Center offices are currently located at 32 Old Slip, New York, NY (Lower Manhattan). Our staff has been working remotely on a full-time basis since March 2020, with the option of working in the office when desired. We anticipate accommodating full-time staff who opt to work remotely up to 5 days/week. The ideal candidate would live in the NYC metro area, but we will also consider people who live outside of the NYC metro area and are willing to travel to NYC for all-staff planning retreats and events. Candidates are encouraged to be open-minded and discuss their geographic circumstances and flexibility in their cover letter.
The salary for this position is $50,000. Benefits include health insurance (including vision and dental), paid leave, 15 vacation days (20 days after 3 years), 12 paid holidays, a one-month sabbatical option after 5 years, a $1,500 professional development stipend, and retirement. Employees can also audit Support Center’s numerous workshops as time permits.
Role and Responsibilities
The Program Associate will work across our growing portfolio of projects focusing on contracting and project management for strategy and management, professional and leadership development (customized training), executive transition, and organizational navigation engagements, as well as communicating the impact of Support Center’s work.
Core responsibilities will include:
- In coordination with the Associate Executive Director and Director of Programs, manage and conduct client intakes, develop project scopes of work and write proposals and agreements
- Coordinate client and consultant contracting in coordination with the Associate ED, Director of Programs, Director of Finance & Administration, and others
- Contribute to ongoing project management across the project portfolio by conducting routine check-ins with consultants and clients
- Ensure relevant information shared by clients and consultants is documented in SalesForce in order to provide long-term and personalized client support
- Manage client data, ensure compliance around data entry, and generate Salesforce reports for meetings, grant reports, and organizational learning
- Develop and support monthly professional development learning opportunities aligned with our strategy and management and navigation practice
- Liaise with affiliate consultants, navigators and staff to collect lessons learned, bright spots and testimonials to be shared across Support Center’s communications channels
- Contribute to ongoing outcomes and impact measurement with clients and overall internal program evaluation efforts in alignment with business development goals
- Support marketing and communications efforts by helping to connect with clients and develop project success stories for marketing purposes
- Spearhead Support Center special events (in conjunction with the Operations Manager), such as our annual Friendsgiving event and periodic fundraisers
- Support internal administration of assessment instruments (LPI, iCAT, CCAT), draft summary reports and coordinate with Program Manager(s)
- Support client projects and consultants as needed and assigned by the Associate ED, including preparing presentations, creating surveys, aggregating interview data, and conducting research.
Additional responsibilities will include:
- Ensure consistency and fidelity of client and project information/data in Salesforce
- Manage interns as needed
- Assist with fulfilling grant reporting requirements and tracking project results across the program portfolio
- Assist with event preparation and management as needed
The ideal candidate will have:
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent work experience in a field relevant to Support Center’s work (e.g., public or business administration, social work, social sciences, humanities, etc.); graduate degrees welcome.
- Demonstrated interest in working and learning in a mission-driven social impact organization
- Proven English writing, speaking, and presentation skills
- Comfort using Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Google Suite
- Interest in organizational impact and story-telling
- Ability to work successfully under multiple deadlines and adapt to shifting priorities
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to relate to and work with a diverse team and group of clients, partners, and stakeholders
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Please write “Program Associate” as the subject heading. The cover letter should be addressed to Keith Timko, the Executive Director, and should describe the candidate’s interest in Support Center, professional experience and qualifications, and suitability for this role. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.