Interim Executive Director Inquiry
Support Center’s next Interim Executive Director Training will be held on March 25-26, 2021! Right now we are planning for this training to be held virtually, while we evaluate on an ongoing basis the possibility of it being held in-person at our training space in Lower Manhattan. If, conditions permitting, we opt to hold it in-person, that decision will be made and announced no later than Friday, February 12. The application is currently open, and the application timeline is as follows:
Monday, January 4: Application review begins
Friday, January 29: Application deadline
Friday, February 12: Latest date for admission notifications
DATES: Thursday, March 25 and Friday, March 26, 2021 (Attendance is required for both full days.)
TIMES: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm ET
LOCATION: Virtual, possibly in-person. If, conditions permitting, we opt to hold it in-person, that decision will be made and announced no later than Friday, February 12.
TUITION: $875, to be paid upon acceptance to the program and receipt of an invoice.
An Interim ED is an experienced and objective leader who is skilled at guiding organizations through transition in a limited time frame. Interim EDs are typically former nonprofit chief executives who have decided to pivot to a different type of work and have the lifestyle flexibility to take on short- and medium-term engagements.
Training and placing interims for over 15 years, Support Center taps into a pool of candidates when we’re working with an organization to place an interim leader. We offer our two-day training in the spring and fall of each year – admission is competitive and application-based. We also welcome applicants from other areas of the country who are looking to learn about effective interim leadership.
In forming our training cohorts, we seek a diverse group of nonprofit leaders who are:
- Current and former nonprofit executive directors considering a career as an Interim Executive Director
- Serving or have served as an Interim Executive Director who would like specialized training
- Mid- to late-career professionals who now have independent consulting practices with a focus on nonprofit organizational development and leadership transition
- Grantmakers seeking to understand leadership transitions and the important role interim executives play in supporting board and staff during transitions
Topics covered in the two-day training include:
- How leadership transition falls within the nonprofit organizational life cycle
- The philosophy and value of the executive transition process
- Specific roles of the interim, board, and search consultants
- The reality of being an effective interim executive
- Challenges presented, and the skills and perspective required
- Handling the emotional aspects of being an interim executive
- Dealing with staff and board dynamics of organizations undergoing an executive transition
- How Support Center’s interim ED placement practice works
To learn more, contact Xander Subashi at [email protected].