Interim Executive Director Training Inquiry
The application for our spring Interim ED Training is now closed. If you would like to be notified when the dates and application details for future trainings are announced, please share your contact information here.
An Interim ED is an experienced and objective leader who is skilled at guiding organizations through transition in a limited time frame. Interim EDs are typically former nonprofit chief executives who have decided to pivot to a different type of work and have the lifestyle flexibility to take on short- and medium-term engagements.
Training and placing interims for over 15 years, Support Center taps into a pool of candidates when we’re working with an organization to place an interim leader. We offer our two-day training in the spring and fall of each year – admission is competitive and application-based. We also welcome applicants from other areas of the country who are looking to learn about effective interim leadership.
In forming our training cohorts, we seek a diverse group of nonprofit leaders who are:
- Current and former nonprofit executive directors considering a career as an Interim Executive Director
- Serving or have served as an Interim Executive Director who would like specialized training
- Mid- to late-career professionals who now have independent consulting practices with a focus on nonprofit organizational development and leadership transition
- Grantmakers seeking to understand leadership transitions and the important role interim executives play in supporting board and staff during transitions
Topics covered in the two-day training include:
- How leadership transition falls within the nonprofit organizational life cycle
- The philosophy and value of the executive transition process
- Specific roles of the interim, board, and search consultants
- The reality of being an effective interim executive
- Challenges presented, and the skills and perspective required
- Handling the emotional aspects of being an interim executive
- Dealing with staff and board dynamics of organizations undergoing an executive transition
- How Support Center’s interim ED placement practice works
To learn more, contact Xander Subashi at [email protected].