Reports to: VP of Programming & Impact
Location: DoSomething.org is headquartered in New York City with a hybrid and remote work culture. This position requires candidates to be based in the New York City Metro area.
WHO WE ARE
DoSomething.org is a twenty-nine year old nonprofit fueling young people to change the world.
We have mobilized millions of DoSomething.org members to clothe young people in homeless shelters, clean up 3.7 million cigarette butts from the streets, run the largest youth-led sports equipment drive, and registered over 350,000 young people to vote since 2018!
Want to know more about our impact? Check out our 2021 Year in Review.
DoSomething is launching a new project to build a civic participation ecosystem for young people and seeks a Civic Engagement Manager to manage the design and launch of this work. Core elements of the project will include 1. Convene a civic education and participation network; 2. Pilot DoSomething’s civic collective in New York City impact; 3. Consult with DoSomething partner on creation of a digital civic hub for young New Yorkers. This position reports to the Program & Impact team and collaborates with the DoSomething Strategic Team.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Research and identify key partners for coalition building within NYC community
- Devise and own all facets of coalition building, including curating agendas and desired outcomes for coalition events, panels, trainings, and workshops; and facilitate outreach and communications to the coalition
- Ensure civic and voter engagement work is working to increase turnout among young people, protect the integrity of our elections, and support young people to hold their elected officials accountable, during all election cycles (local, state and federal)
- Assist with the development of mechanisms to measure and track levels of civic engagement over time
- Help refine landscape study insights and communicate them to the larger DS team in collaboration with DSS
- Develop and manage project budgets
Operations & Capacity Building
- Foster coalition partnerships and relationships (e.g., NYC school district)
- Responsible for executing proactive engagement techniques to cultivate DoSomething relationships with area civic associations
- Conduct field-based civic engagement work to increase diverse youth participation in our democracy
- Oversee events in partnership with the membership engagement team
- Manage project timeline and communicate actions needed to internal and external partners
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- You have a passion for and experience working with young people in a youth development, volunteer management, or nonprofit capacity; you can interpret the core behaviors, motivators, and needs of young people today
- You have 2+ years of project and/or program management experience
- You have 2+ years of community organizing with successful engagement of participants and targeted audience, including public officials, experience
- You have knowledge about and experience in voter engagement
- You have strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- You are proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite
- You have excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- You have excellent analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills
- You foster an entrepreneurial mindset and culture within organization
- You are results-oriented and strategic thinker
- You have a strong attention to detail
- You are solutions-oriented
- You have a passion for DoSomething’s mission, vision, and new strategic direction
WHO YOU ARE
- You have strong communication skills and the ability to adapt messaging, style, and tone to accommodate a diverse range of audiences both internally and externally and to persuade others to gain their support
- A team player with highly developed interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate
- Solutions oriented and able to navigate complex or constrained situations to find solutions, intuit where to compromise and where to hold firm, and consistently deliver on required business results
- An analytically minded thinker; able to synthesize complex information, connect ideas and transform data into insights that are actionable, inform strategic and tactical business decisions, and are presented in a digestible, easy to understand manner
- You believe in young people and are curious about the needs and wants of young people across the spectrum of identity and difference. You believe that their involvement in civic engagement, democracy, human services, etc. has the power to change young people, their communities, and the world!
Compensation: $55k – 65k
Anticipated Start Date: September 2022
Duration: 1-year fixed-term/contract position*
*Successful completion of the 1-year contracted role does not guarantee employment with DoSomething. However, further employment opportunities at DoSomething can be considered depending on the organization’s needs at the time of completion of your contracted time, mutual interest, and performance throughout.
Select Perks & Benefits
- 3 weeks vacation, paid winter holiday break (from Christmas to New Years), and ½ Day Summer Fridays (Memorial Day to Labor Day!)
- Medical and dental premiums fully covered by us. You read that right!
- An incredibly compelling reason to wake up and make it to work every day
DoSomething.org is an equal opportunity employer.
Please, no calls.
DoSomething.org and DoSomething Strategic (“we”, “us”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This policy explains when and why we collect personal information on candidates, and how we keep it secure.
How and why we collect data from you.
- We collect and retain data that is included in your job application. This includes your full name, contact information, and any personal information disclosed in your resume, cover letter, and other supplemental application materials.
- Data is collected for evaluation criteria when seeking employment at DoSomething.
We will only use your data for what was originally intended — for purposes of seeking and gaining employment at DoSomething. Your data will not be “recycled” for marketing emails or to sell to third parties.
How long do we retain this data?
- DoSomething will retain candidate profiles for 3 years.
Annually on August 1, candidate profiles from 3+ years prior will be entirely deleted from our system.
Is your data secure?
- JazzHR maintains secure job board pages. Job boards will default to HTTPS. Additionally, if we were to terminate our contract with JazzHR our candidate data is deleted from JazzHR’s systems in accordance with JazzHR’s Terms of Service.