Elevating expectations for youth
POSITION: Chief Development Officer (CDO)
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Founded in 2006, exalt’s mission is to transform the lives of court-involved youth by equipping them with the skills and experience they need to become self-sufficient members of society. exalt partners with criminal justice agencies, nonprofits, corporations, foundations, and schools to serve youth ages 15-19. Dramatic growth in budget and programs, dynamic and widely respected leadership, national recognition for impact, and a fast-paced results-driven culture mark exalt as an organization poised for its next chapter, looking towards its 20th anniversary in four years, further regional and eventual national expansion.
exalt fulfills its mission by providing a cohesive, cohort-based educational paid-internship program with four components: 1) a proprietary curriculum-based classroom component; 2) internships in youths’ fields of interest; 3) post-internship education and career development services; and 4) an alumni network that provides ongoing access to resources. exalt is the first organization designed specifically for youth involved in the criminal justice system in which youth participate by choice, versus compliance. Last year, the organization served 200 students in its core program and 225 youth in its alumni network – 70% young men and 30% young women. Over 90% of participants in exalt’s program are Black (Caribbean, African, and African American) or Latino.
For more information on this extraordinary organization, please visit https://exaltyouth.org/.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The board and Executive Director of exalt are seeking a mission-focused, seasoned strategist and leader to serve as Chief Development Officer as the organization begins its second major scaling initiative with a growing and diversified portfolio of funding sources. exalt seeks an individual with experience leading fundraising activities across all channels – individual major gifts, professionally-run foundations, corporate contributions and engagement, special events and government sources (federal, state and local). The position is also responsible for communications strategies in service to its fundraising goals.
To these ends, the CDO must exhibit the cultural competencies to function within an organization in service to young people of color. The CDO must bring demonstrated experience, sound judgment, professional maturity and a cultivated intellect to a position that requires leadership along with teamwork; the CDO will be a true partner to the Executive Director and the board, capable of representing exalt externally and inspiring internally. It is essential that the CDO develop efficient and effective approaches to development work at exalt and work tirelessly to advance the organization; the CDO should be prepared to represent exalt through an active presence at relevant events across New York City and periodic national travel.
The CDO reports to exalt’s Executive Director and is a member of an Executive Team that includes the Chief Program Officer and newly-hired Chief Operating Officer. The CDO supervises a full-time Associate Director of Development and a grant-writing consultant. Though the position will be responsible for fundraising communications, the CDO will rely on part-time staff or consultants to manage day-to-day communications initiatives as these responsibilities evolve and exalt grows.
The Chief Development Officer will have the following responsibilities:
– Lead a comprehensive development strategy to meet exalt’s current and future needs in collaboration with the Executive Director, Chief Program Officer, COO and program staff
– Build and foster a culture of philanthropy amongst staff and board, and work closely and comfortably with both to encourage their shared sense of responsibility and active engagement in fundraising
– Set annual fundraising goals for and work to further diversify and increase funding from individuals, special events, foundations, corporations, and government
– Coordinate exalt’s major gift fundraising with the Executive Director and oversee a portfolio of current and prospective donors who have the capacity to make gifts at the $10,000+ level
– Further exalt’s relationship with leading local, regional and national foundations adding new names to the giving roster while cultivating continued support
– Dramatically expand the number of government grants to fuel exalt’s growth and steward relationships with key agencies and funders
– Develop and oversee corporate relationships, identifying, cultivating, and securing new corporate partners for internships, program support and events
– Oversee and ensure that the annual gala remains a marquee event for exalt and find ways to grow its revenue over time
– Staff the board Development Committee and the Governance & Nominating Committee
– Manage the Development expense budget, reporting and information management, including strict
discipline and practice regarding the fundraising database
– Maintain accountability and ensure compliance with all regulations and laws, as well as the code of ethics for fundraising professionals
– Provide overall leadership to staff, and motivate, inspire, manage, and develop staff members so they are informed and committed to working effectively toward continual process improvement
– Develop and implement an annual communications plan to support exalt’s ambitious aims both to scale-up programs and their reach over time, and to establish exalt as a thought leader in its field
– Shape the major messages that will represent exalt across a range of media
– Employ appropriate communications channels to share its messages, now principally through social media and various online forums
– Create communications materials for key audiences that are reinforce exalt’s position as both leading organization in the field
– Support exalt’s lobbying and advocacy efforts around criminal justice and education issues
– Network effectively to personally share exalt’s story of success within its peer group, to funders and to those who are in a position to amplify those messages
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected organization. We are seeking an individual of exceptional abilities with a respected track record. To be considered for this exciting position, candidates should possess the following:
• Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree a plus
• Minimum seven-to-ten years of experience in a progression of fundraising roles and proven success in major gift cultivation and solicitation
• Knowledge of the New York City, national, and global philanthropic and cultural communities
• Proven ability to strategize, set and (importantly!) meet goals
• Familiarity with common fundraising software and communications tools
• Adept at crafting and articulating persuasive cases for support and sharing them effectively across diverse audiences
• Strategic thinking along with excellent management and communication skills
• Experience working with boards
• Communications experience across digital and social as well as traditional platforms
• Highly detail oriented
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and exemplify leadership and composure under pressure, while maintaining high morale
• Ability to work with a wide range of people representing various backgrounds, levels of training, and career stages
• Ability to multitask, offering support to the Executive Director and the Executive Team
• Ability to work evenings and weekends as events and activities demand, and to travel nationally
LOCATION: New York, NY
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
exalt is prepared to offer a very attractive compensation package, including a competitive base salary of $125,000–150,000, commensurate with experience, as well as health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 401k matching; paid time off; and other benefits.
QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS, PLEASE APPLY
Please submit a cover letter and resume here: https://exaltyouth.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=42
exalt is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status, or any other protected class under Federal, State and Local law.
To apply for this job please visit exaltyouth.bamboohr.com.