Girls on the Run is a transformational physical activity-based positive youth development program for girls in 3rd-8th grade. We teach life skills and social emotional learning through a youth development curriculum that includes dynamic interactive lessons and running games. The program culminates with the girls being physically and emotionally prepared to complete a celebratory 5k running event. The goal of the program is to unleash confidence through accomplishment while establishing a lifetime appreciation of health and fitness. Girls on the Run NYC hosts programs in schools and communities in the five boroughs of New York City.
At Girls on the Run, our core values guide our way and we stand firm in our commitment to building a world where every person can know and activate their limitless potential. We warmly welcome the participation of any child who identifies as “girl”, non-binary, or gender expansive in our programs. We are committed to leveraging our intellectual, financial, and human resources to advance strategies to be inclusive, equitable and accessible to all. We are working to bring diverse voices to the table as we know that unique perspectives strengthen the quality and scope of our organization. We pledge to be a reflection of the communities we engage, not only in appearance, but also through fostering an atmosphere of community connectedness that serves as a model for our girls and other stakeholders.
The Operations Manager reports to the Executive Director and works with all staff in the organization. The Operations Manager is responsible for oversight of operational areas and driving operational processes for organization success. These areas include supporting the Girls on the Run office and organization, managing logistics and event execution for the program 5k run/walk event at the end of each fall season and spring season, overseeing non-program volunteers and volunteer events, and maintaining inventory and supplies. Some of the key responsibilities falling within these areas include:
Program and Volunteer Operations
- Coordinate the organization’s volunteer program for general (non-program) volunteers, including supporting new volunteers (non-coaches) through initial outreach and onboarding by hosting interviews and ensuring required GOTRI paperwork is completed.
- Coordinate volunteer events including volunteer expo and one-time volunteer events.
- Oversee inventory and work with program staff to support distribution of coach and program curriculum, materials and supplies.
- Support program staff with the process of ordering and distributing sneakers and supportive materials for students at the start of each season.
- Project management leader on the staff team of all areas of each seasonal 5k event.
- Secure 5k event vendors and serve as the point-person for logistics related to the 5k.
- Purchase and track 5k materials and help oversee set-up & tear-down of event.
- Oversee 5k volunteer and runner communications and respond to inquiries about 5k registration.
- Compile 5k data on participants, runners, and volunteers.
- Prepare monthly financial packages, including use of QuickBooks, in partnership with Executive Director to prepare for external bookkeeper’s monthly reconciliation.
- Oversee day to day processing of accounts receivable and payable using QuickBooks, producing reports as requested. Ensure that accounting requests are resolved and communicated in a timely manner to internal and external parties.
- Oversee day to day office management, order office supplies, maintain office equipment, and maintain paper and electronic documents so that they are accessible, complete and accurate.
- Manage special projects as required to implement the strategic plan.
- Lead processes and updating materials for staff onboarding, orientation, and off boarding of staff including part-time, seasonal staff through fellowships and partnerships.
- Support development of organizational marketing collateral, working with internal and external resources to create a variety of materials.
- Maintain accessible GOTR assets including photos, stories, quotes, logos and videos.
- Coordinate office-wide communications and social media calendar.
- Oversight of organizational website ensuring that all its information is accurate and updated regularly.
- Oversee organization’s information technology systems, policies and processes.
- Coordinate organization’s responses to phone and email inquiries.
- Bachelor’s degree or five or more years equivalent work experience required.
- Operations and administrative work experience.
- Understanding and ability to work well in a small office setting, function as a team player on a range of projects, and also work independently on assigned duties.
- Thorough, organized, detail-oriented individual with a keen ability to prioritize, manage against goals, and work under tight timelines
- Must have outstanding communication skills in multiple environments and with a range of audiences, internal and external.
- Must be available to work some hours during some weekends and evenings, including for coach events and other organizational events such as volunteer and fundraising events.
- Should be a self-starter who is able to see projects through from start to finish and meet deadlines.
Must have computer competence including proficiency in Google Workspace and Microsoft Office including Excel.
- Must be willing to undergo a background check
- Comfortable with hybrid work including remote and in-person work environment
- Per NYC government policy, you must show proof that you have received a COVID-19 vaccine.
- Experience with youth or wellness programs.
- 3 to 5 years of non-profit experience, including experience supporting and coordinating volunteers.
- Experience using Canva, Asana, and Slack, or similar project management and communications tools.
The salary range for this position is $61,000 – $66,000. In addition, Girls on the Run offers a benefits package including professional development funds; retirement plan with employer match; medical and dental insurance; life insurance; and 12 paid holidays and 20 days of paid time off annually.
Girls on the Run NYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.