Website Immigrant Social Services, Inc.
Founded in 1972, Immigrant Social Services, Inc. (ISS) is a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the conditions of underserved immigrants in Chinatown/Lower East Side, New York City. The majority of immigrant families we serve are from low-income, monolingual Chinese-speaking multigenerational households. Through programs and services centered on care, education, prevention, and community, we nurture and empower immigrant children/youth, young adults, seniors, and families to develop and restore their agency to strengthen the wellbeing of their communities.
Immigrant Social Services (ISS) seeks an exceptionally organized, detail-oriented, and self-directed individual with a strong commitment to community building for the position of Community Engagement Manager. The ideal candidate is strategic, adaptable, and people-centered, prepared to work cross-functionally and intersectionally to develop and implement a portfolio of programs, projects, and creative initiatives aimed at enriching, mobilizing, and empowering the Chinatown/LES/AAPI community. These efforts will foster civic discourse, enhance community literacy, encourage collaborative solutions, explore new paradigms, and advance overall wellbeing. This role provides strong project management and coordination of community-wide initiatives and outreach strategies to build relationships, increase awareness, and foster collaboration within the community.
Program Management and Community Collaboration
· Research, plan, develop, and implement high quality community engagement and outreach programs and initiatives to facilitate dialogue, education, and collaboration.
· Collaborate with stakeholders in the design of programs with residents, community-based organizations, volunteers, and other key stakeholders in order to align the needs and interests of residents with available resources.
· Establish strategic partnerships with community stakeholders, including residents, community-based organizations, government representatives and agencies, small business, and volunteers.
· Act as liaison with the community and represent ISS at community, coalition, government agency, and other external meetings and events.
· Design, write, produce outreach communications such as newsletters, flyers, and social media content.
· Develop and set program and initiative goals according to strategic objectives. Plan and project manage from start to completion involving deadlines, processes, deliverables, evaluation, and impact.
· Assist in developing and monitoring budgets and expenses for community engagement initiatives, ensuring resources are allocated effectively.
· Serve as lead contact and primary support for our growing volunteer program.
· Responsible for volunteer recruitment, training, stewardship, placement, and retention.
· Leading all volunteer engagement strategies including communication and planning efforts to keep our volunteers engaged and connected to upcoming opportunities.
· Codify best practices to build a pipeline of active volunteers.
Evaluation and Impact
· Collect, track, and analyze data on community engagement and volunteer efforts to measure impact and make data-driven decisions.
· Documents and compose regular updates on the progress and impact of community engagement programs and initiatives.
Skills and Qualifications
· Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field; Master’s degree preferred
· Minimum 3-5 years of experience in community engagement and outreach, program development, or a related role.
· Minimum 1 year of effective supervisory or team management experience including: coaching staff to reach their potential through goal setting and mentoring.
· Culturally competent communication with attention to detail.
· Strong project management and organizational skills with the ability work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people with measurable outcomes.
· Excellent internal and external communication skills, both written and verbal.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple tasks on time and on budget with limited supervision.
· Self-directed and self-motivated with creative problem-solving skills.
· Adaptable: able to navigate ambiguity and pivot when needed and work towards creative solutions.
· Interest in and commitment to social justice and equity.
· Experience with community organizing and/or coalition-building a plus.
· Proficiency in Google Workspace, Microsoft Office, Zoom, and other standard office tools.
· Ability to work evenings and weekends as necessary.
· Bilingual English/Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Fujianese) preferred.
· Strong understanding of the AAPI community preferred
· Demonstrated interest or experience with leveraging digital technologies for community and volunteer engagement a plus.
Qualified applicants may apply by emailing the following to [email protected]
1. A one-page cover letter describing your interest and qualifications for this role (attached PDF or in the body of the email)
2. A resume (PDF)
3. A writing sample (any format)
Three references will be requested after the interview stage.
Annual Salary Range: $57,000-$65,000, commensurate with experience. Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental coverage, paid time off, sick leave, professional development, and a 401(k) plan.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com