Summer Search is a 7-year mentorship program for promising students facing unjust obstacles. Students join the program in their sophomore year of high school and are supported through college or other post-secondary pursuits. We provide comprehensive support through one-on-one mentorship from trained staff, peer-led group mentorship, and summers of experiential learning, while also supporting young people to build a toolkit for navigating and challenging systemic barriers to higher education and career opportunities.
Since our founding in 1990, Summer Search has reached more than 6,500 young people and currently serves more than 3,600 high school and college students in five regions across the country – San Francisco Bay Area, New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, and Seattle. Our alumni become the kind of leaders our country needs — civic leaders, advocates, industry leaders, teachers, mothers and fathers. Their collective leadership ripples out into the community and future generations and contributes to a more equitable society.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
At a time of growth and innovation, Summer Search NYC is seeking an Events and Donor Relations Coordinator to join and support a 5-member development team. Reporting to the Director of Development, this hire will oversee the production of three annual signature events, manage an existing portfolio of mid-level donors, contribute to the team’s overall efficiency and creativity, and play a central role in growing Summer Search’s impact in New York City and nationwide. Specifically, the Events and Donor Relations Coordinator will:
– Oversee and manage the end-to-end production for Summer Search NYC development events, including our annual Leadership Gala, Golf Outing, and Associate Board Soirée and other smaller cultivation and stewardship events throughout the year, both virtual and in-person.
– Ensure effective and efficient event operations, including invitation lists, pre- and post-event communications, venue coordination, vendor management, event committee support, and day-of event production. Coordinate the creation of event materials and mailings.
– Liaise with the program team to create a donor engagement and volunteer calendar, ensuring all members of the NYC development team have timely and accurate information on these opportunities.
– Actively participate in Summer Search’s national Event Cohort, which meets monthly to discuss and share best practices and contributes to nationally-coordinated initiatives.
– In close partnership with the Director of Development and Executive Director, manage a portfolio of 55 existing individual donors that give $1-5K annually, utilizing a “moves management” system. Create and execute plans for qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship for each donor in your portfolio, resulting in securing roughly $275,000.
– Oversee identification and qualification of new donor prospects, researching their giving potential and ensuring their philanthropic interests are aligned with Summer Search’s mission and values.
– With guidance from the Corporate Relations Manager, support the 40-member Associate Board by building relationships with board members, coordinating and attending monthly meetings, managing regular communication, and organization small events throughout the year, such as trivia and cycling events.
– Occasionally schedule external meetings for the Executive Director and Development Director, and, on some occasions, attend donor meetings with them. Provide support to the Director of Development on drafting donor communications and materials.
– Ensure accurate and timely upkeep of donor data in Raiser’s Edge (RE) database.
WHO YOU ARE
You are committed to Summer Search’s mission and values. You believe that all young people should have the opportunity to fulfill their potential. You thrive in an organization that values authenticity, relationships, well-being, learning, personal growth, and an unwavering commitment to racial equity
You are a proactive and energetic events and development professional. You bring 3+ years of work experience in development, with demonstrated experience in event planning (ideally both in-person and virtual) and exposure to interacting or relationship management with donors. You are equally comfortable with donor-facing and behind-the-scenes fundraising work.
You are an excellent task and project manager, with exceptional attention to detail. You succeed at managing multiple workstreams and motivating, coordinating, and directing others to stay on track. You possess eagle-eye attention to detail, strong accountability, and a commitment to high quality work product.
You are a thoughtful communicator who is attuned to audience and tone. You are able to articulate the importance of an organization’s work in a concise and compelling manner, both in your own writing and “ghost writing” to others.
You are a resourceful, flexible, and willing team player. You bring a “get it done” attitude and thrive in a highly entrepreneurial and fast-paced environment. You thrive in a collaborative “roll up your sleeves” environment and are willing to pitch in wherever needed.
You are a tech savvy development operations expert. You understand the technical aspects of fund development, including donor qualification, portfolio management, and moves management. You bring competency in CRM databases (Raiser’s Edge preferred) and Microsoft Office applications, with strong proficiency in PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
You are committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism. You are energized to join an organization that is on a journey toward becoming an anti-racist organization. You are committed to dismantling racism within yourself and your colleagues. You seek out opportunities to instill anti-racist principles into donor-facing work.
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.