Grow It Green Morristown is seeking a part-time Program Educator to fulfill a vital role developing and implementing farm based education programs in-classroom and on-farm. General topics to cover include plant science, nutrition, climate change and local food systems. Applicant will work with local schools and organizations to create a culturally relevant connection to nature for children including the students in the Morris School District (MSD). Applicants will lead field trips and off-site education that involve experiential lessons to explore the joy of food in relation to health and environment. This position will report to Grow It Green’s Director of Agriculture & Education at The Urban Farm, a unique community based urban educational farm. The Program Educator is responsible for developing and delivering all stigma-free programming utilizing creative learning strategies that engage diverse audiences of students, families, differently abled people and older adults.
– Provide a safe and supportive learning environment for a diverse student population with opportunities to play, explore and learn together while developing a sense of community, self-confidence and an appreciation for the natural world both indoors and outdoors.
– Provide outdoor educational programming at the Urban Farm or Early Street Community Garden for a variety of ages from preschool to high school (some weekend work necessary).
– Lead independent garden activities such as scout groups through curriculum & outdoor education opportunities
– Lead engaging and inspiring lessons in the classrooms of local schools/preschools as desired by the school officials
– Write standards-based curriculum for programming about sustainability, soil, biodiversity, native species, pollinators, nutrition, climate change and regenerative farming or other current educational trends that take into account diverse learning styles and intelligences.
– Produce didactic materials and recipe cards that are fun and encourage healthy choices which fosters dialogue around sustainability and fresh produce among the community
– Assist with community-based farm events such as Alfresco on the Farm, Plant Seedling Sale, Winter Solstice, Winter Market, Ladybug Releases, Cultural Events and annual fundraiser
– Create and be featured in virtual educational resources
– Support GIGM staff as needed
– Experience working with grades pre-K-5
– Experience leading experiential education indoors and outdoors
– Spanish fluency is an important asset
– Experience with program development and curriculum development is a plus
– Knowledge of local food systems and environmental initiatives
– Knowledge of food justice issues and culturally responsive teaching a plus
– Knowledge and use of Google Suite preferred
This part-time position will average 16 hours per week for 50 weeks (800 hours yearly) with a schedule that has greater needs coinciding with the school calendar year. Position is excellent for individual needing opportunity to create a more flexible schedule while making a difference for local community. The desired candidate will have the following characteristics: flexible; organized; experience with shifting schedules; understanding of the importance of cultural relevance in lesson planning and engaging with diverse populations; a style that promotes collaboration and communication; openness to feedback; attention to detail; creativity; team player; commitment to serving the entire Morristown community; and a commitment to Grow It Green Morristown’s mission. Pay rate of $16-$19/ hour is dependent on experience. We provide sick pay as required. Grow It Green Morristown is committed to workplace diversity and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ, disabled, and all aged candidates to apply. Position may be combined with other functions to be discussed during the interview process in line with GIGM future planning.